Saturday, June 19, 2010

170:365


Last night was such an unusually beautiful night, and I was surprised to wake up to such a cool house! It was the perfect day for another prayer walk at church. This week, we met to walk in the neighborhoods surrounding our church. We had about 15 people show up this morning... not a lot, especially considering our church has more than 2,000 regular attendees, but both Sean and I were really encouraged by the people who were there. Ya gotta start somewhere , right?! We had a good prayer walk, then Sean and I went downtown to my office. (I forgot something that I need for this weekend's services with the Mobile Unit.)

We decided to have lunch downtown at Lola Rico's taco place... aka "the pink place." I LOVE LOVE LOVE this taco stand... its a bright pink A-frame building with seating only outside and they have authentic tacos. And the best part is that chili verde tacos are only $1 a piece! Yum!!! So Sean and I got our tacos, and as we were ordering a guy came up to us and asked if we wanted to buy a Blackberry. I said, "No thanks." Then he walked on. After we were seated outside eating, the guy came up again and started talking to us again about buying this (undoubtedly hot) cell phone. We kept declining, and I asked him if he wanted some lunch. I felt kinda rude just sitting there eating anyways. Now, this guy was dressed ok, he definitely didn't look homeless. But I'm ashamed to say that he was certainly 'sketchy' in my white-girl, north end of town opinion. I knew he wasn't starving or homeless, but that's not why I offered to buy him lunch... I just kinda wanted to. He told me his name was Anthony, so we went up to the pink counter and ordered him the Super Nachos. (Though the most expensive thing on the menu, they were still only $5.) There was another guy up there waiting for his food, and I could tell he was sizing up the situation (read: judging both Anthony and I). I ordered Anthony's nachos (hold the guac), and told the lady behind the counter that they were for him, and I went back to sit down to finish my lunch. The guy who had been in front of us in line walked past Sean and I as he was heading to his car with his food in hand.... under his breath, he said, "The guy obviously doesn't need money when he has such nice shoes on." Um... ok? I wasn't doing it because he asked me to buy him lunch, and I didn't do it becuase he looked hungry... it was just nice. And besides, isn't that kinda my decision? I just stared at the guy as he hurriedly walked on and got into his Mercedes. Sean and I finished our lunch, then went around to the front of the building to say good=bye to our new friend, Anthony. There's something about being blessed to be a blessing. Today, I feel very blessed... with my husband, our family and just life in general. So should I withhold that blessing from overflowing just because someone doesn't look "needy?" I kinda feel bad for Mr. Mercedes... I don't really know him from anyone, and I'm not trying to be hard in passing some kind of judgement on him, but I wonder if the way he looked at Anthony is the way he looks at everyone. I imagine the blessing Mr. Mercedes could be to strangers if he would only take a few minutes to look at them as he passed by.

No comments:

Post a Comment